Saturday 28 May 2011

27th May – ...Why am I Not Surprised?

On This Day
27th May 2007 - Mangadjane and Mbali mating

Afternoon Drive
(Godfrey and Marka)
3 x leopards  (Hklakisa female and 2 x cubs) – Mbali, Mcau Rd
2 x rhino
1 x breeding herd of buffalo – Jaydee, Ngulube Link West
1 x breeding herd of buffalo – Jaydee, Vielmetter-Albert’s Cutline
1 x breeding herd of elephants – Motswari, Airstrip
1 x breeding herd of elephants – Peru, Woza-Woza Cutline
1 x breeding herd of elephants – Jaydee, Jaydee Airstrip

Daily Synopsis
So, if you have been following the blog, you might just have noticed the title of the last blog, ”Leopards Bound to Come Out Now...”, and as if this was to pre-empt the happenings of the afternoon, the leopards decided to check the blog and show up. 
Although, for much of the afternoon it didn’t look that way.  I had headed out to go and take some photos, and to check around the lodge for one of the leopards that had been making us look silly the last few days.  Well, they made me look silly again this afternoon, and I didn’t find anything.
Instead I listened to the radio and heard that Marka and Godfrey had seen several herds of elephants, two relaxed female rhinos, and each of them had their own herd of buffalo.
When I only heard their vehicles return to the lodge after 19h30, I knew that they had seen something, but I wasn’t sure what.  I knew it wasn’t the Machaton lions, as both guides stayed in the north.  Maybe Mafikizolo Pride?   Interest piqued, I went out to chat to them. ..
Marka’s one set of guests, David and Daniela, were desperate to see a leopard.  Well, they got to see three!  Marka found Hklakisa female and her two cubs near Mbali Dam!  They were seemingly quite relaxed, but the mom and her female cub moved off, and Godfrey got to “only” see the young male, who is by far the most relaxed of the trio, and sure to be a star of the future!
So that was it.  I stop driving. The animals come out.  I am seeing the pattern!  But don’t worry, I plan to correct that tomorrow J

2 comments:

  1. Hello Chad !

    Who is this Hklakisa female ?

    I don't know her...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Agnes

    She is a "new" female that we have named - we have only known about her since october last year when my tracker found her 2-week old cubs hidden in a rockky outcrop....we have no idea who she is, or where she fits in...guides will all have their ideas, but with no photographs, you cant prove anything!

    i saw her for the first time last month on her kudu kill - very relaxed at night, adn the young male cub is the most relaxed, even during the day he is not bad...they are all beautiful leopards, and we have seen them on a weekly basis - so hopefully with more viewing they get better :)

    see you soon!

    ReplyDelete